[Dixielandjazz] Bruce Branson

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sat Jul 10 12:49:50 PDT 2010

I met Bruce Branson in May 1956.   He was playing a month-long gig at the
Bar of Music in Sacramento with Jack Teagarden and a local piano, bass, and
drums.  We had just moved into Sacramento and I later found out that Bruce
was a jazz DJ on radio station KXOA, Sacramento.  Before coming here he had
played alto  and baritone saxes in the Tommy Dorsey orchestra, proudly
sitting beside Buddy DeFranco in the sax section in 1944 and 1945.   He had
married Mary Clark, who sang in the Clark Sisters group with Dorsey.  The
Clarks  had been called "The Sentimentalists."

In Sacramento he had organized a quartet with Frank Myers, bass, Chuck
Austin, drums, and Dale Hawkins, piano -- Bruce on clarinet.   With the
quartet he had played casual gigs and steadies at the Melody Club and
others.   He died of a heart attack in 1957 at the age of  34.

Joe Showler, the late  Toronto-based record producer and Jack Teagarden
memorabilia collector, produced a CD of some of a live tape from the Bar of
Music Teagarden 1956 gig.   Creatively called "Jack Teagarden -- Live At The
Bar Of Music, Sacramento -- 1956."   It's good quality and quite
interesting.

May I ask what stimulated your interest in Bruce Branson?

Bob Newman