[Dixielandjazz] Bob Nabors' Book

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Sat Jul 10 10:12:41 PDT 2010

Bob (Neighbor) probably put his 2 kids through college because he worked as
an Art Director for McGraw Hill for many years, not from sales of his
fakebook I should think. It definitely is ubiquitous though.

Mal Sharpe had an updated version of the original book for awhile, with
fixed chords and pages of some tunes' lyrics interspersed and added before
Bob's Finale-based version came out.

Incidentally, right in the middle of working on the new, computer-composed
version, there was terrible rain and flooding in the Chicago area (1996 or
1997?), and Bob's entire basement became 6 feet deep in water - he lost his
entire record and CD collection, all his antique cornet cases, all his sheet
music, and, most importantly, his Mac with the hard-drive and 1000 hours of
work on the new fakebook. However, the good news was, I was able to get a
bunch of Bay Area musicians to donate money to buy him a new Mac and have it
delivered as a surprise just before Christmas that year, and he was able to
get most of the data for the new book off the flooded hard drive.

He's retired now and lives in central Vermont now and no longer plays jazz,
but he is in a number of concert bands and his wife Sue sings in a number of
choral groups.

Scott Anthony