[Dixielandjazz] Teaching Jazz improv to a new band memeber.

lrg4003 at aol.com lrg4003 at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 20:19:49 PDT 2010

Along the lines of improvisation....I have a good friend in Kansas City, a bass player, who toured for a couple of years with the Glenn Miller ghost band
when it was being led by Buddy DeFranco.  My friend had the opportunity to study with the great jass bassist Ray Brown for a period of time.  He, my friend, went to the first session and Ray asked him to play through all of the scales and changes.  My friend, could do most of it but he really wasn't prepared to do them all, or all very well. Ray sent him home saying, as jazz players we're painting a musical picture and if you're a painter you don't step up to the canvas with half a pallette.  You want to have all of the colors of the music available to you.  My friend went home, practiced and came back to play the changes well enough to meet Ray's approval and continue his lessons.

The basics come from practice.  The emotion that turn it into "art", whatever the hell that is, comes from everything else, as Steve describes--the blues, the lyrics, the swing.  I think improvisation is a delicate balance between the brain and the heart.  One you can train, the other you have to feel.

K.C. Clarinet