[Dixielandjazz] Improvisation & Solos

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 19:37:09 PDT 2010

Here are some excerpts from a hand written note by Thelonious Monk to
Sop Saxer Steve Lacy. (who by the way started out as a Dixieland Reed
Man). Lacy was just starting to play with Monk at the time. Good
Advice for all jazz players. (From the jazzwestcoast chat group at
yahoo)

1. Just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean that you don't have
to keep time.

2. Pat your foot and sing the melody in your head when you play.

3. Stop playing that bullshit, those weird notes, play the melody.

4. On your solo, don't play the piano part, I'm playing that. Don't
listen to me, I'm supposed to be accompanying you.

5. The inside of the tune (the bridge) is the part that makes the
outside sound good.

6. Don't play everything (or every time); Let some things go by. Some
music (is) just imagined. What you don't play can be more important
than what you do play.

7) When you're swinging, swing some more.

8) Be on the scene. These pieces were written so as to have something
to play and to get cats interested enough to come to rehearsal.

9) Whatever you think can't be done, somebody will come along and do
it. A genius is the one most like himself.

Monk also advised a drummer who did not want to solo: You got it. If
you don't want to play, tell a joke or dance, but in any case, you got
it.

I talked with Monk (and Steve Lacy) several times in NYC in the 1950s
and then in San Francisco in the 70s and vouch for the accuracy of
this advice. It is definitely from him.