[Dixielandjazz] any improvising helps that i can use with my band

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sat Jul 3 23:36:25 PDT 2010

Shalom Kirk,

I had a trumpet player like this when I first started my band. Classically
trained, he was a decent player, but he couldn't play anything that wasn't
written. I once told him, "Look, just play a couple of eighth notes now and
then instead of the quarter notes." He thought that was a great idea, and
proceeded to erase some of the quarter notes from his music and write in 2
eighths instead. Unfortunately, I couldn't break him out of classical mode,
and he didn't last with the band.

There is a book, something like "Ambersol", that teaches improvisation. I've
never used it, so I can't speak for it's effectiveness. But maybe it will
help.

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
Jerusalem, Israel