[Dixielandjazz] A New Book on OUR KIND OF MUSIC

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 1 15:30:50 PDT 2010

Ivor Jones wrote:
> It's certainly not a new book on Jazz, I bought it around the 60s as a member of the Jazz Book Club, in England. I enjoyed it then .It was written by Roland Gant. I expect confirmation by our guru, Bill from Oz. Of course it is possible that somebody has nicked the title from Mr Gant.

Dear Ivor,
I suspect that this is a new book, coincidentally using the same title, “The World in a Jug", but with a sub heading - "The Lore of New Orleans and Dixieland Jazz".
As you mention an earlier book, "“The World in a Jug” by British writer, Roland Gant, was published in 1959 by Cape, London and reprinted about 1961-2 by Peter Davis for The Jazz Book Club.
The blurb at the time said: "The novel about a Dixieland jazz pianist and singer which is widely regarded as one of the finest jazz novels ever written. Witty, moving and authentic, this fine novel has been hailed by literary and jazz critics alike; 'very good... a fascinating documentary-style novel' - Times Literary Supplement. 'A very firm step in the jazz novel... Refreshingly free of purple prose' - Jazz News.
(Probably why I didn't buy it when I subscribed to The Jazz Book Club, way back then.)
*>)
Kind regards,
Bill.