[Dixielandjazz] A Diverse Entertained Audience

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 30 14:53:06 PST 2010

I know where to find audiences being well entertained by Dixieland.   But
generally here in St. Louis such audiences are not that diverse  and you know
what I mean.  So I was delighted last night to walk in a large  restaurant
and bar at 6 p.m. and have to wait 30" for seating because  a large young
and racially diverse crowd was listening to Dixieland.

Enough did leave (mostly young families) that we got seats,  wonderfully on
the front row.  And delightfully we watched an audience,  attracted by the
first set, become glommed to the music for the even  tighter second set.  A
few of we oldsters had no problem "teaching"  those who had wandered in the
norm of applauding solos.  And  pretty soon no one was leaving.  The band
was the Reunion Jazz Band.   The music was tighter with a more solidified,
driving beat that what I  had checked in a couple of their web samples.  They
stuck, in this setting,  with the tried and true tunes, a very smart choice
for the audience they  had.

A couple of years ago, I had watched another Dixieland band, talented
musicians all, slowly empty this same establishment.  It could have just  been a
coincidence.  But, I suspect it was choice of repertoire.  And  those of us
who may know a few more tunes did not mind a bit that the tunes were
familiar -- the music was hot!  And I love to see young audience  building.

Ginny