[Dixielandjazz] Listening to music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jan 29 01:56:28 PST 2010

Marek wrote:
>As a rule, Jim was right about playing music while doing other things as
opposed to listening. Still - not always. So, sometimes, doing one's chores
has a positive effect on one's ears.

Marek, you've got a long memory!  That was from a subject way back. You're
right, of course, that sometimes you will hear things if you get away a
bit...drift off a bit.  Strange as it may seem, when I've been working for
hours and hours on something in my studio, I will get up from the mixing
console, and maybe even go into the next room & do something else...type
this message to you, for instance.

And, boom..., something that I hadn't previously heard may suddenly pop out
as not being what I wanted, and I will go back in and correct it.  That is
not, however, a substitute for really close listening, and works for me
after exhausting all close scrutiny.  If nothing leaps out at me during that
"distance listen", then it is usually ok.

I think my first comment had more to do with driving & listening.  Driving
in Spain, as I'm sure it is in Israel, is different (to say the least!)than
the U.S., and requires 100% attention, so listening whilst driving, in my
opinion, is a waste of time...and, even distracting.

Jim