[Dixielandjazz] Rollini

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 16:20:50 PST 2010

Hi Bert et al,

Thanks for the links to the Rollini Trio footage. Interesting stuff and he makes it all look so easy! The 4-mallet stuff on the vibes is certainly not easy to do. He was an interesting character too. I felt he had been unjustly overlooked from the 1940s onwards. I also the thought the opening to his bass sax solo on Bix and his Gang's recording of Jazz Me Blues is so memorable it deserved to be kept in the public's ear, so I wrote a piece, just called Rollini, around it to feature our fine multi-instrumentalist Martin Foster. There's a snippet of it on Youtube at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCe1q_OuD1w but unfortunately whoever shot this (unauthorised) selection put it up as a medley, which it never was in performance. So to see Rollini without sitting through the 2 other pieces, you need to start at about 6 minutes in.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk