[Dixielandjazz] Riverwalk Jazz Goes to the Movies: A Look at Jazz Music and Musicians in Film

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:28:05 PST 2010

DJML:

This week's Riverwalk Jazz show is remarkable for 2 reasons: yes, it
is a compilation of tracks from the past 20 years on the air, but the
idea and script were collaborations with the jazz writer Scott Yanow,
and the JazzNotes web page about the show features more embedded
YouTube videos than any other we have yet created. Check it out here:

http://www.riverwalkjazz.org/jazznotes/jazz_goes_to_the_movies/

and enjoy the clips from Stormy Weather, New Orleans (with Armstrong
and Billie Holiday), Sweet and Lowdown (Howard Alden plays the
soundtrack for Sean Penn), and others.

For those of you unfamiliar with Scott, he is the author of 10 books,
among them the All-Music Guide to Jazz. The book we got the idea for
this show from is Jazz On Film. I am told that Scott will be
collaborating on future Riverwalk Jazz show ideas and scripts.

mopo