[Dixielandjazz] Adrian Rollini Trio

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 28 00:45:17 PST 2010

Another thing, Adrian also wrote some beautifull music.

A tribute to him as composer recorded last year : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MCk8ND48w

Rollini was a very versatile musician.

He made a solo piano performance at the age of 4 in the New York Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

In fact, to my opinion his talents are much overlooked in the jazz history books.

A few reasons why I think so :

- he was the first to record a convincing jazz solo on the saxophone. (even before Bechet)

- his bass lines are so original and inventive, that no bass player (tuba or double bass included) in jazz came close till 1940. (Blanton in the Ellington band I would suggest)

- his achievements in creating that phenomen what we call swing are as impressive as anyone's in early recorded jazz.

He was in the early 20's very influential, even Colaman Hawkins tried to imitate him, but in fact the Hawk only came close to his level of bass sax playing on one record of Hop Off in 1928.

(I doný have that exact date, since I'm not at home)

Don Redman made a lot (Too many in fact) imitations on record of Rollini on the goofus. Rollini was the first to record that now forgotten instrument.

Wynton Marsalis once made a strange remark about Bix Beiderbecke, that he died lonely because he never could play with musicians of his own level.

You could interpret that as an insult to Rollini, since the wonderfull recordings (the famous 6 like Jazzband Ball , Jazz Me Blues) they made together are achievements of the highest order. As band achievements I dare to rate them even higher then the hot fives. Both Bix and Rollini are very original and creative on these and you have the feeling of listening to a musical unit.

Rollini also wrote some nice original compositions.

One dedicated to his wife : Dixie, is lovely. (See the youtube link above)

Alas that one is also overlooked, since recorded in London, UK and not in the US, where is all ought to happen, considering the history books.

Tom Faber was working on a book about Rollini, but died before completing it. I hope that it will be completed and issued soon.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma