[Dixielandjazz] Free student Combo Arrangement of "Bill Bailey"

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Wed Jan 27 07:44:20 PST 2010

Below you can go to my Community Music Site and then click on the Bill
Bailey pdf file.  This is a combo arrangement but it can be played by a
larger band.  Included are the head and two written out solos. I haven't
yet written out the Bass/ Guitar part, but most students can get by on
the chord symbols from the C part.  Let me know if there  are any
mistakes -there shouldn't be.  The Springhill College  Jazz  Band is
going to  read through  it  this afternoon. so I may adjust a few things
and put up another version.  I've got about 10 of these arangements in
various states completion and will put up more as I get them ready.  I
always agonize about the 2nd part in the head.  Most combo books just
play unison until it is convenient to split the parts.  I think they do
this because they want to keep the parts close together for both a
smooth sound and so that the 2nd part doesn't get out of range.  I've
made the 2nd parts more contrapuntal which, when it works, is more fun.

http://www.southalabama.edu/mathstat/personal_pages/murdick/stuff/Community%20Music%20School/