[Dixielandjazz] Rascher Time

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 24 12:25:14 PST 2010

To: DJML and musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman

This note from Lou Stalnaker, sent at my request, regarding his personal experiences with  Sigurd Rasher.  There has been considerable discussion on the Dixieland Jazz Mailing List about Sigurd Rasher, so I won’t have to detail that.  ( If you lost out on that, search for him on the internet for a biography.)

Lou is a semi-retired obstetrician-gynecologist, educator who plays alto saxophone in classical and jazz style.  Some years ago, when the New Orleans Symphony was performing in Pensacola, Lou was  a guest soloist with them when they played a Ravel composition which had an alto saxophone part. He is a frequent performer for the Jazz Society of Pensacola and a member of the Pensacola Civic Band ( an excellent group sponsored by Pensacola Junior College) for over 30 years.

Also about 10-15 years ago the Rasher quartet performed here for the University of West Florida.  The elder Rasher was not performing with them but the daughter, a member of the Berlin Symphony, played soprano  for that event.  The quartet practiced at Dr. Stalnaker’s home.

Thanks, Lou.