[Dixielandjazz] Re. Advice about Mics

Nancy Doran Giffin nancyink at surewest.net
Thu Jan 21 20:13:17 PST 2010

Rae Ann wrote:

> Listmates:
>

> Do any of you have any experience with stereo mics
> for camcorders?
>

> I've made over 350 videos of bands in the SF Bay Area
> and am feeling the need to improve the quality of the sound.
> Any suggestions, advice, admonitions?

Hi, Rae Ann,

Long time no see.

I don't know about camcorders, but the only thing I would say is that it's respectful to ask permission from all musicians before starting to record.

I have a lot of recordings that I do not post to YouTube because I have not gotten permission to do so from each individual musician. I think law requires permission before uploading.

Many Dixieland musicians are perfectly fine with it, but for those full-time professionals who are not, I understand their wish to have some control over what the general public is to see of their work.

--Nancy