[Dixielandjazz] Sigurd Rasher - was Nazi Band Rules

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 19 15:04:20 PST 2010

As a saxophonist who studied both classical music and jazz, I'm in a strange situation of having saxophone "idols" from totally different fields.

It is my feeling that (besides Adolphe Sax himself!) that the really important early (alto) sax players are :

Classical :
Sigurd Rasher (I had so much profit from his book about toptones. I studied it after finishing conservatory and it made me so much a better musician)
Marcel Mule (important teacher in Paris, wrote numerous books to improve your technique)

Jazz
Johnny Hodges (Most beautifull sound of them all. When a man can say important things with just a few words, why need too much talking?)
Charlie Parker (the most influential sax player ever, creative genius influencing not only saxists.)

There is a truth in what you say about jazz players that could learn from Rasher.
However, I certainly want to put it the other way around as well. I met so many classical players that are totally unflexible. Just one embouchure, just one vibrato, only able to play from notation.
If you listen to Hodges at the 1938 Carnegy Hall concert on soprano. How many sax players are able to tell such a story??? And that rhythm he plays there sure is free art.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma
www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com