[Dixielandjazz] Dance band rules during the 3rd Reich

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 09:49:09 PST 2010

Hi Dave et al,

This topic was aired in this group fairly recently and prompted me to dig out and re-read my ancient paperback copy of *The Bass Saxophone*, which I can heartily recommend.

The *Rules* come from a fictional short novella called *Red Music* by Czech-born writer and academic Josef Skvorecky. *Red Music* forms the introduction to a pair of longer novellas published under the overall title of  *The Bass Saxophone*, which is also the title of one of the novellas. Skvorecky emigrated to Canada after the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 and, as far as I know, is still living in Toronto, where he taught in the University.

His writing of his early days as a cub-musician living in a surreal time comes over with great authenticity and will be familiar to all of us ancient musos who can still remember our apprenticeships, even if we were luckier with the location. If you want biographical info, go to his website www.skvorecky.com

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk