[Dixielandjazz] le deluge

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 12 11:59:48 PST 2010

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis wrote:
> Steve: > How can we expect anyone to learn anything if there are no
> teachers?
>
> Actually teachers are a problem in jazz.  You can teach jazz
> progressions and all sorts of technical things but you can't teach art.
>
> You can teach an artist how to mix paint but you can't teach someone how
> to use colors and if you try you end up with copy's --- not art.  The
> same holds true with music.

What Larry said is so true.
1985 - Hamp's band in London. Young rent-a-Coltrane tenor player gets
up, blows a zillion notes, sits down. Arnett Cobb struggles to his feet
on crutches, blows one note and the other guy is history. That is jazz.
If you don't absorb it and live, you sure as hell can't play it.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com