[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Entrepreneurs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 10 08:56:37 PST 2010

Anyone who has spent nights in New York City going to jazz clubs, or
who has a subscription to Jazz Inside Magazine, which highlights the
jazz happenings in the MYC metro area, realizes that there is a
resurgence of jazz venues, jazz nightclubs and concerts. OKOM has a
small presence there, but "Jazz" is IMO, coming on stronger than at
any time since Ken Burns's PBS Jazz Show 10 years ago.

Now it appears if similar things are happening in Chicago. See the
below article.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

January 10, 2010 - NY Times - By Neil Tessler

Chicago’s Jazz Scene Grows With Do-It-Yourself Trend

Surveying the chaos at 1540 West North Avenue, it is hard to believe
this former sports bar will soon be a sleek new jazz club.

Up front sits a half-built stage. Piles of new and old wood, along
with pipes and conduits tagged for disposal, litter the dust-scuffed
floor. In back are strewn five big-screen plasma TVs and various
kitchen devices.

“You can’t believe how much progress we’ve made in just two weeks,”
Greg Pasenko, the 60-year-old co-proprietor, said a few days into the
new year.

The club, named Club Blujazz for the record label owned by Mr. Pasenko
and his wife, Diane Delin, will expand the recent do-it-yourself trend
characterizing Chicago’s multifaceted jazz scene, which is second only
to New York’s.

Despite the recession, this trend has little to do with musicians
seeking income to supplement their performance fees. It is more to
establish control over their performance venues — or at least to
ensure they do not disappear.

In the case of Club Blujazz, the owners want a home for their music
that is not subject to the whims of other presenters. Mr. Pasenko, a
guitarist-vocalist, and Ms. Delin, a violinist, will each have a
regular weekly showcase at the club, alongside local, national and
European artists.

Chicago has precedents for the concept. In the 1950s, the pianist
Ahmad Jamal ran his own club, the Alhambra, and in the 1960s the
Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians produced
concerts when its avant-garde offerings baffled club owners. But at no
time in recent memory have as many jazz musicians been actively
involved as presenters, curators and entrepreneurs.

Club Blujazz will be the second musician-owned jazz club in the city,
joining the Velvet Lounge, which the 80-year-old saxophone legend Fred
Anderson established east of Chinatown in 1982. The scene also boasts
at least three major weekly series programmed by acclaimed younger
musicians. One of them, the sax player Dave Rempis, presents new-jazz
concerts in a cozy space called Elastic, at 2830 North Milwaukee Avenue.

“In my tenure here, there are now probably as many spaces to play as
ever, many of them qualitatively better than those of the past,” said
Mr. Rempis, who has lived in Chicago since 1993. “But most of the
places I play are owned or run by musicians, which makes a big
difference in expectations. They’re primarily interested in the music,
instead of just filling a jazz night on their calendar.”

Mr. Rempis’s shows are on Thursdays, following a tradition that began
in the late 1990s with Ken Vandermark, a 1999 MacArthur Fellow and
world-renowned reedman.

Mr. Vandermark hosted a Thursday-night series at various clubs
starting in 1998 because many local venues were unwilling to present
the postmodern free jazz played by his bands and artists from New York
and Europe. When he stopped in 2002, Mr. Rempis took up the slack,
encouraged by a group of college friends who had set up a funky
performance space on Cermak Avenue.

“For my generation, the idea of making a living as a jazz musician
isn’t really possible — especially playing creative music,” said Mr.
Rempis, using a common term for noncommercial jazz. “We needed to come
up with our own environments, basically. Most club owners want to sell
drinks and want to present music that people can talk over.”

Mr. Rempis is also a principal in Umbrella Music, a loose
confederation of presenters that emerged from a crisis in performance
venues in 2005. At the Hungry Brain, 2319 West Belmont Avenue, limited
capacity was hindering the growth of the Sunday night Transmission
Series run by the cornetist Josh Berman and the drummer Mike Reed. At
the same time, Elastic lost its space because of licensing problems,
and the Velvet Lounge was being forced out of its previous location,
with its resurrection plans still hazy.

“Our playing landscape was disappearing,” Mr. Reed said.

Out of this came Umbrella Music, whose members produce and cross-
promote the shows at Elastic, the Hungry Brain and The Hideout, hidden
away at 1354 West Wabansia Avenue. (Mr. Reed’s experience as a
promoter extends beyond jazz: he co-produces the nationally known
indie-rock Pitchfork Festival, which last year drew 55,000 fans over
three days.)

Like the owners of Club Blujazz, Mr. Reed was partly motivated by the
musicians’ equivalent of estate planning.

“At the end of my 20s, I was still bartending to earn a living, and I
was wondering what my 40s would be like,” he said. “I was never going
to make real money, retirement money, as a musician. So basically, I
needed a job.”

After working on other live-music events, Mr. Reed said he decided
that “if those chuckleheads can do this, then so can I.”

“But it’s also a matter of holding on to Chicago’s unique cultural
capital,” he said. “New York and L.A. have pulled all the capital from
other, smaller cities. We need to make sure that we have something
that stays here. And if the resources don’t exist, you have to do it
yourself.”

Neil Tesser has written about jazz and hosted Chicago jazz radio
programs for more than 35 years.