[Dixielandjazz] Stage Presence

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 11 08:34:39 PST 2010

Kash and Al Brown point out that there are courses that teach
musicians about stage presence. And Kash is surprised that there was
just about no feedback that anyone had watched a film he recommended
as a course.

Perhaps that is the real world problem with many OKOM bands?

As some DJMLers know, I posted for years about how to communicate with
the audience, via bringing young ladies on stage and singing "I Want A
Little Girl" or "I Can't Get Started" to them. Or draping the ladies
and kids with Mardi Gras Beads, etc., etc., etc. Or about playing in
venues that have young people in the audience. About 15 people asked
off list for more information and then I was asked by those who run
the list, not to post about such things anymore. They felt I was
bragging about my gigs and our success. OK, so be it.

As for me, I have not watched the film Kash recommended, but I have
watched videos/films of rock concerts by David Bowie, The Stones, Kiss
and others. They are all instructional, as are videos of Louis
Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, Mardi Gras Bead throwers
in New Orleans, Loose Marbles with their dancers, and many others.

We've adapted some of what they do to our performances. Like have
tubist Jimmy Parker spin around faster and faster with his Sousaphone
when we play Mardi Gras Gigs, draping beads, etc.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with the lack of audience enthusiasm
for OKOM (in the USA) is the fact that most bands make absolutely no
effort to bring the music to the young and/or have awful stage
presence while re-playing the same old music in the same old way. As
Pogo might say, "We have met the enemy and they is us."

Ducking

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband