[Dixielandjazz] le deluge

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 10 08:43:20 PST 2010

Pat Ladd does not agree that folks should have classes on how to
behave in social sessions, job interviews or stage presence.

Maybe not for old guys like Pat and me, however, what took us all
those year to learn, can indeed, and should indeed be taught. After
all most of the people (and other animals) on this earth haven't a
clue as to what the social mores are, or what life is all about. They
have to be taught.

Pat and I are too old to change whatever we are doing now <grin>

But how can we expect people to learn anything if there are no
teachers? Most animals on this planet have parents or social groups
that teach the newborns. Humans have one of the longest teaching/
learning periods of any animal group. (21 years or so)

How can we expect anyone to learn anything if there are no teachers?

Like how can we answer the fundamental question "What is Jazz?" if
there are no teachers? To see an example of an excellent teacher in
that respect see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71dFTtA_kQ

Great Teacher <grin>, Great improvisor, I wonder who taught him? see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhF-7suDsM&feature=related

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband