[Dixielandjazz] Critics and Stage Presence

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 7 09:38:54 PST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 2:49 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> From: "pj.ladd" <pj.ladd at btinternet.com>
>
> As for Steve weighing in  and comparing what I might have said about
> his
> protege violin player, I don`t think I have ever expressed an
> opinion about
> him but just for the record I think he is terrific.

Hi Pat:

I didn't say anything at all about what you said or might have said
about Jonathan Russell, who BTW is certainly not my protege. More
likely the other way around.

Getting back to stage presence, which is what the issue was with
Nikki, I offer this perspective. IMO, very few performers are born
with a natural stage presence. So we need to factor that in when
discussing young performers. Russell, for example, at 8 lacked it as
does Nikki as we saw her in that clip. I think someone has to teach
most performers about stage presence. I agree with you that she has
great talent

Those of us who have sat up close and personal at a Las Vegas Stage
show with Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Peggy Lee, Ella, or any other big
time performer can see quite readily that the gestures, the movement
across the stage, the smiles and placement of arms for emphasis,
placement of microphone to mouth are all carefully choreographed.

As was the instrument waving of the swing bands in the 1930s. <grin>

Or if we watched Ed McMahon laughing at Johnny Carson jokes, what
seems on a TV screen to be natural, is obviously a learned trait when
you see it from the first row of the studio audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband