[Dixielandjazz] NPR.org - The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:25:19 PST 2010

> True, Mp3 compresses the digital audio, and it is not really as good as the
> original.  How much that really matters, especially when people are
> listening to their music through those little earplugs, is something else.

I never do.  I use an old-fashioned cassette walkman, with medium
quality headphones.  And hardly ever play it too loud, although when I
turn off a busy street music suddenly threatens to bust me ears.

> Listening to music?  How many people actually "listen" to music, rather than
> just have it going in the background.

A good point, but tricky.  I first read this letter with music in the
background (Riverwalk), and paid very little attention.  But when I
listen to records while washing dishes, or cooking, I pay attention to
every detail, almost like in the good old days when I had the time to
lie down with hi-fi Koss headphones and get up only to turn the record
over (my turntable is fully manual - doesn't even stop when the record
is over).
And when music is good - one listens and pays attention to details.

You can't really listen to music in
> your car.  Hopefully, your mind is basically on the road.

This is only partly true.  Concentrating on the road only partly
collides with paying attention to music - if it's really worth it, one
does.  I don't think I've missed a not of Sir Charles Thompson's
playing on my newly purchased Delmark CD just because I was driving.

 .  I listen
> to music in my studio, sitting & concentrating.  I try to appreciate the
> music itself,

No everyone has the luxury of a studio, Jim, or enough time.

>and try to understand how well (or poorly) the recording was
made.

This is the domaine of the pros, not us mere listeners.

Cheers