[Dixielandjazz] Answer To Bob

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jan 5 20:38:37 PST 2010

Steve Barbone wrote:

> Dear Bob:
>
> I shouldn't wonder at your confusion. Your math is wrong. THINK
>
> First of all, you are wrong about my age, but lets assume you are
> right. If I am almost 75, I wasn't born in 1932, however lets
> assume I could have been Never the less,  50-17 is 33. 50 - 33 is
> 17, 17 + 33 is 50.  Therefore 50 is 50. <grin>
>
> How come you can't understand that?
>
> As for poetic license, I'm happy to be able to teach a man of your
> knowledge and accomplishments something. Glad I cleared it up for
> you.

Dear Steve,

Besides you teaching me what poetic license really means, I think, by the paragraph above, you just taught me what "smoke screen" means also.

I did not imply that you were born in 1932.  This is what I wrote:

I believe you are almost 75.  That would mean you were born around 1934 or 35.

In a previous message you wrote:

quote
In my 60 years of playing gigs, I've run across quite a few women who can play professionally.

When I questioned you about the years you did not play due to your day gig, you wrote:

I should have said; " in my 60 years as a jazz fan, which includes 33 years as a professional musician....

Your web site at:
http://www.barbonestreet.com/musicians.html
says:

quote
Clarinet
Steve Barbone
50 years of playing jazz

In a post dated Jan 5, 2010 to DJML, you wrote:

> The web site he referenced does indeed state that I
> have been playing jazz for 50 years, but it has been inactive since
> Glenn Dodson passed away a few years ago.

I am not sure when Glen passed but seems as if it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago.  That would mean that on your web site, instead of stating that you have been playing Jazz for 50 years, it should say "52" or "53" years.

Then, in the same post, you say:

What is so funny is that Bob worries about 50 years of playing jazz,
when the myspace page says 56 years of playing jazz. Both are
inaccurate. I've actually been playing jazz for 70 years, give or take
one or two.

Now its 70 years???

So, so far you have stated that you have played Jazz for:
 33 years,
50 years,
52 years,
56 years
60 years,
and now 70 years.

Thanks.  I think I have my answer.  I won't be posting on this subject any more -- Probably much to the relief of many  Listmates.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much
government.  -Thomas Jefferson

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4746 (20100105) __________

http://www.eset.com