[Dixielandjazz] Female jazz players

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Mon Jan 4 14:30:31 PST 2010

I played for many years with one the greatest female jazz guitarist. Mary Osborne.  She played for many years in New York, with Tyree Glenn and others.  She also made many appearances at the Sweet and Hot, or whatever it was called in the 80's and 90's.   I have a CD she did many years ago with Beryl Booker and June Rotenberg.  Also during the 50's she appeared as a regular on the Art Ford Jazz Party which was broadcast on TV, although I have forgotten the network, but it might have been Dumont.  Here is a link to her being introduced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybl6_1bk-FA&feature=related
 I have the complete program, but you can search through these videos and see some great playing from most of the 50's greats.   There is another album from the early 50's where she is playing on an all woman band and they are in competition with an all male band.  Interesting.  I have it  I can' find it off hand, but when I come across it I will share the name.
 Then, of course,  there is Maria Schneider, and Vi Redd.  Maria Schneider fronts a big band today, some of her recordings are excellent, in the caliber of Toshiko.  Vi Redd is a very interesting alto player.
As sometimes happens on some of these lists, folks like remember what they think the past was but in reality it was much more complicated.
later,
Randy Fendrick
Southside Chicago Seven