[Dixielandjazz] Ray Smith, RIP

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sun Feb 28 17:01:17 PST 2010

I've just heard some very sad news over WGBH, Boston.   Ray Smith, host of
the Jazz Decades and a fine drummer with many Boston area Jazz bands such as
his own, Paramount Jazz Band, passed away Friday.  He was 87.  I first heard
Ray over WKOX, Framingham, MA and then on WGBH.  It was from Ray that I
first heard of the New Black Eagles, with whom he played when they began.
in 1969-70, I used to drive an hour on a Sunday night to hear the band he
was in at the Mail Coach Restaurant in Concord.  It is thanks to Ray that I
met and have been lifelong friends with such local jazz greats as Jimmy
Mazzy, Scott Philbrick and the late Bill Batten.  If it weren't for Ray, I
probably would not be playing traditional jazz/Dixieland today.  It is
devastating news.

Ron L'Herault