[Dixielandjazz] FW: Song Plagiarism - was - Night Train

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 24 07:51:52 PST 2010

>Funnier still is how Reig and Lubinsky made fortunes from cheating
musicians..........

I suspect that the practise of paying musicians a "flat fee" for a session
was usually "under the table", and was readily accepted by musicians,
therefore I'm not sure if "cheating" is the right word here.  I can't say
that was the practise of the above two gentlemen, but I know that it did
exist worldwide in the recording industry.

Nowadays, there are "performer's rights" paid to those that recorded, either
above or below the table.  In Spain, an organization was formed a few years
ago (along the lines of Author's/Composer's orgs that collect & disperse
royalties) which pays all of us who have recorded TV or radio shows, and all
recorded material such as Lp's, cassettes, CD's, etc.

All we had to do was name the sessions we were involved with and the
subsequent material's registration number (sent us all off to the shops
looking up old records!), and we received royalties for recordings even done
back in the 1960's.  All recordings in Spain were flat fee sessions with no
rights paid in royalties, even when the pay was legally registered.
However, we got a real decent "flat fee" which made it worth it!  And, now
there's this little "icing on the cake"!

Jim