[Dixielandjazz] Goldie Lucas

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 04:57:46 PST 2010

Robert:

After Steve Barbone clarified Goldie Lucas' gender, I believe it might have
been Bill
Haeslar (who always seems to come riding to the rescue like the U. S.
Cavalry)
who stated that his given name was Golden.

I spent a little bit of time trying to come up with an answer for Bob Smith
but
never even considered the Golden aspect.  I should have, as the Dallas
Cowboys
once had a football player named Golden Richards and I met a fellow right
here
in Houston, named Golden Edwards who at one time played for the Chicago
Bears

Of course, in my youth, I also knew a guy who owned Goldie's Liquor Store,
but
that was because his last name was Goldstein..

Good to hear that someone else uses Chilton's book for reference,  While I
don't
have the 1972 first edition, I do have a later one from 1978 and it rests on
a shelf
alongside my computer desk, along with the Feather/Gitler Encyclopedia of
Jazz
and George T. Simon's Big Bands..

I assure you that trio gets considerably more use than my Funk & Wagnall
Dictionary

So, we have another mystery solved.

Tides
HC.