[Dixielandjazz] Goldie Lucas

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 23 00:39:04 PST 2010

I should imagine Goldie was a nickname, in this case that of a man.
. It is of course a Scottish surname, but there are all sorts of possible reasons why a non-white male might have been called Goldie, including the painful situation of the white author G. Lowes Dickinson, whose first given name was Goldsworthy. He might have had an extravagant West Indian name, he seems to have been based in New York and to have worked with Bingie Madison, in that saxophonist's own band and/ or under the names of King Oliver and Clarence Williams.
Somebody with a good library of books about 1920s New York Jazz would have some answers.
My ancient first edition of John Chilton's WHO'S WHO OF JAZZ mentions an unpublished autobiography of Madison.