[Dixielandjazz] OT-Bing Crosby, Frances Langford?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 21 14:07:45 PST 2010

Hal Vickery wrote:
> It all depends on the source of the recording.  Bing made a recording of the song ("Connecticut") with Judy Garland.  It might also be from the "Connecticut Yankee" soundtrack, too, in which case it would either be Rhonda Fleming (or whoever sang for her).

Dear Hal,
Spot on.
You get the ceegar and my mate Harry Callighan gets the smoke for his red herring in making the connection (pun intended) with the 1949 filum "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".
The Bing Crosby/Rhonda Fleming duet in that movie was "Once and For Always'.
I suspect that the song Jack Thomas heard was indeed "Connecticut" ((Ralph Blane -Hugh Martin) recorded in Los Angeles for Decca [23804] on 9 March 1945 with Joseph J Lilley and his Orchestra.
For some reason "Connecticut", and its backing "Mine" (also with Judy but recorded on 31 July 1944), was not released until 1946-47.
Kind regards,
Bill.