[Dixielandjazz] Jack Jackson (was THIS DAY IN JAZZ)

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sat Feb 20 13:32:40 PST 2010

Dear Harry,

It was Jack Jackson who first awakened my interest in jazz. He had a radio
programme every Saturday night from 23:00 to 0.00 on BBC. He used to play
some of the better pop music, but it was Pee Wee Hunt's "Twelfth Street Rag"
that got me going on jazz. I think this must have been in 1947. But it was
George Webb's Dixielanders that got me hooked for the rest of my life. The
first record I ever bought was sold to me on the shop assistant's
recommendation, viz. "Doctor Jazz" backed by "Jelly Roll Blues" by the Red
Hot Peppers - still one of my favourite records - in fact I still have the
78.

Thanks for reminding me.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith