[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Baker & Chris Barber

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 13:57:16 PST 2010

> I'm fairly certain that Kenny Baker was also involved in another recreation
> project involving the music of Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. I have
> the resulting LP but cannot put my hands on it at present so I am working
> from memory.

But was it aimed at copying, or recreating?  No necessarily the same thing!

In this case I believe that the music was required for a
> modern dance show involving Twyla Tharp - possibly for the BBC. It was felt
> that thr original recordings weren't suitable for use so the recreation was
> commissioned.  The result makes interesting listening, but I share Ken's
> view about the polished (and studied) performances lacking the feel and
> immediacy of the originals.  Of the other players I can only recall that
> Judd Proctor played banjo but I do remember that, brilliant player though he
> was, Kenny Baker sounded nothing at all like George Mitchell - but then >who does!

Did he meant to?  Probably not - he was great, he knew it, and
probably did not aim to sound like Mitchell.  On the Armstrong series,
he did a pretty good pastiche of the master.

Cheers