[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Baker & Chris Barber

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 20 13:56:58 PST 2010

Gerard Bielderman wrote:
> This LP was issued under the name of MAX HARRIS AND THE NEW RED HOT PEPPERS, recorded on 14/15 September 1974. The personnel was: Kenny Baker (tp), Keith Christie (tb), Roy Willox (cl,ss), Brian Lemon (p), Judd Proctor (bj,g), Martin Fry (tu) or Jack Collier (b), Jock Cummings (d), Skip Humphries (vo), Max Harris (musical director).

Dear Gerard, Marek and friends.
The vocalist above, Skip Humphries is an Australian mate.
Herewith Skip's entry included in my 'Who’s Who & What?' biographical Appendix to the soon-to-be-released  book,
"Jottings of a Jazzman: Selected Writings of Len Barnard", compiled and edited by Loretta Barnard (Bob's daughter):

Humphries, Rae [Skip/Skippy]: (b. Brisbane Qld 22 January 1931) drums/trombone and a professional musician from 1954. His band featured regularly on ABC radio, official functions and dance venues. Opened Brisbane’s first jazz lounge Storyville in 1954. Regulars included Len Barnard, Graeme Bell, Tich Bray, Maurie Dowden, Gordon Benjamin, Lloyd Adamson, Kenn Jones, Darcy Kelly and Joe Allen. Studied trombone and percussion at Qld Conservatorium of Music (1958). To Port Moresby and Rabaul PNG in 1959 as ABC record librarian and programme producer (1960-64), presenter of the Saturday night jazz radio programme Skipping Along and led dance bands in Port Moresby and Rabaul. To London in 1964 and Rediffusion TV as music librarian then, in 1968, to Music Services at London Weekend TV. Appointed Head in 1976, produced soundtracks for LWT productions and many record albums, notably three with a stellar line-up of British jazzmen: Max Harris’s Oh Mister Jelly, Don Harper’s On The Fiddle and Bob Barnard’s Big Bob & Little Ben. Retired to Brisbane in 1989.

Very kind regards,
Bill.