[Dixielandjazz] Maurice Rose RIP

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 17:10:12 PST 2010

Hi Marek et al,

Maurice was on the CVS early records which came out on the Beltona label.
Beltona's output covered Scottish and Irish traditional music and dance
music, although there were a few jazz items in the catalogue. Somewhere
along the way UK Decca became involved in Beltona, although whether it
involved pressings, distribution, or outright ownership isn't clear. There's
quite a lot to be found in Google including downloads of CVS tracks from the
one LP they made for Beltona.

He may also be on some of Bob Wallis's later recordings, but I couldn't be
sure of it. I have an abiding memory of Maurice on a recording for BBC Radio
2's Jazz Club, which was presented by the much-missed Peter Clayton. Peter
had been told beforehand that Maurice was a bit special, but of course had
no idea HOW special he was. During the sound-check, when Maurice was
soloing, I caught sight of Peter hanging on to a sound screen, gigling
mightily and unable to stand unaided without a prop. Had Maurice not been
from outer space, he could have been a star of the UK post-war jazz scene.
Unfortunately, he was a very eccentric guy who didn't easily relate to the
rest of society, but he could play his socks off and never failed to knock
the socks off visiting stars like Wild Bill, Dick Cary and Kenny Davern.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk