[Dixielandjazz] Take a Ferry Boat Down to New Orleans. Take -2

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 15 22:35:32 PST 2010

Dear Bruce and Kevin,
When there is something in the back of my brain (what little there is left) it niggles until I get rid of it.
Further research reveals that "Take a Ferry Boat Down to New Orleans" was originally called "Let’s Take a Ferryboat to New Orleans" and was recorded by clarinettist Louis Cottrell and His New Orleans Jazz Band for an LP (Nobility 703).
The LP album notes include the following statement:
"Another original new composition that is part of this album is "Ferryboat" by Lester Santiago. This recording is the first performance of that new work."
However, the Cottrell Nobility record lists the tune as "Let’s Take a Ferryboat to New Orleans" and was recorded in New Orleans on 15 November 1964.
Although, as previously indicated, the Paul Barbarin And His Jazz Band rendition was recorded in Preservation Hall, New Orleans, LA on 5th July 1962 it would seem that it remained unissued by Atlantic until after the Cottrell band version on Nobility 703.
According to my sources neither the Cottrell or Barbarin versions includes a vocal.
Nor does a later recording by the Creole Memories Jazzband from Gent [Ghent], Belgium which recorded "Take a Ferry Boat Down to New Orleans" for Eustachius EJ006 in July/October 1985.
Perhaps there are no lyrics.
Kind regards,
Bill.