[Dixielandjazz] Jake Hanna RIP

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat Feb 13 15:46:06 PST 2010

Hi All,

I'm deeply saddened to hear of Jake's passing and hope he got out without suffering. He was a good pal to me during the 80s and 90s when he was a frequent star at the Edinburgh and Nairn Jazz Festivals in Scotland and I was in California two or three timea a year with Fat Sam's Band. As a drummer he was always propulsive and musical, and always played for the band (which is a scarcer commodity than most people realise). As a person he was always interesting, provocative and funny and was the master of the devastating put-down. I haven't seen Jake for about 15 years, but he's one of those larger-than-life guys who will for ever be in the present tense for me. Chewing the fat with Jake was always a pleasure, especially when he got round to talking about his heroes: Jo Jones, Dave Tough and Sid Catlett. There's a common link to all of them: they were fantastic time players who saw their job as making the band swing and sound good, and, boy, could they all do that!

My deepest sympathy goes to Denisa: we've all lost a pal and a hero; she's lost her life-partner.

Ken Mathieson