[Dixielandjazz] Musical Values

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 12 00:49:16 PST 2010

It's my guess that every era has great music that will be remembered and an awful lot of music that (almost) everyone will have forgotten 10 years later.

That has been the situation for ages in all kinds of music, be it classical, jazz or pop.

Even the jazz musician with a great musical originality AND great commercial assets like Louis Armstrong did record things like (In his case minor quality) waltzes and things like Swiss Miss that really have not too much value. (There are also great waltzes!)

It won't be much different today.

One situation that changed however is that the commercial interests are even much higher today. In the 20's there were not so many records sold as compared to the enormous amount of money that is going on in the music industry today.

What you see is that nowadays not the music itself sells, but the picture around it. So an artist is launched with creating publicity about every minor (and basically) uninteresting detail of that persons life, just to keep the commercial interests flowing. See what happened to Britney Spears or Lady Gaga. And I guess much more money is invested in the Video clips that are showed in MTV and that publicity than in the music recorded itself. These videos and the artifissially generated publicity really sell the sounds on the CD. But the audience is bored quickly, so the industry has to find other ways and has no problems to dump yesterdays hero, to build up the new rising star. Only the greatest artists stay interesting over longer times. Well, Louis Armstong certainly had that quality, still being capable of generating moving music even in his last years.

Another aspect is that now we live in a computer time. People want things fast, low barriers to cross. Not invest much time or energy.

The concequences are there. The general public, and thus the music industry has not much appreciation anymore for someone who invested several years of his life in mastering a difficult musical instrument. Why should he? Out of a computer it is possible to create instant sounds that immediatly seem appealing.

Also look at the many popstar talent contests on TV. They want to create a new star in a few weeks.

And that solution is of course perfect for the industry, they only need a person who is handy with synths and a gorgious looking girl to launch a new carreer. Give her the lowest contract you can think of, pay of the synth technician an hope to get rich as soon as possible.

The girl actually even not has to be a great singer anymore, press the autotune button and there you go.

One aspect that is a problem for the industry is that it is so easy to copy music and distibute it for free on the internet that the general public even doesn't want to pay for the CDs anymore.

So this probably will lead to drastical changes in the industry in the short future.

Here will be possibilities for musical forms or styles not in the interest of the big business people. With internet and phenomens like youtube it is possible to create a new audience wordwide.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma

www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com