[Dixielandjazz] Musical Values (was The Who Lectures)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Feb 11 14:56:28 PST 2010

I guess I am a little different in that I did like the early rock and there were a few tunes by the Beatles that I liked.  I guess over time the pop music industry just wore me out and it went another direction.

I think musicians tend to like instrumentals much more than vocals but that's not the trend over time with the general public.  As I said before in other posts that music today (as in rap) doesn't even have all the basic elements of music but depends on words and rhythm to get the point across.  Over time, music has gone from the complex to the simple or maybe more accurately has steadily lost elements such as complex chord patterns to no chord patterns.  Even the vocals have become more basic from lofty themes to rutting in the street.

This all represents a dumbing down of music in the same way as language in this country is dumbing down to some pretty basic stuff.  Stupid seems to sell better than elegance and lust has triumphed over romance.  That doesn't mean that better things don't exist in pop culture but they are becoming more rare.

It's all about what sells.  As long as people buy there will be someone there to sell it to them whatever it is.

For me I like the music of former times and as I get older I retreat farther into what I consider better sounds.  I don't think this is a total rejection of what's new but represents a refinement in my taste over time.  I have moved one way and the pop music industry has moved another.
Larry
StL