[Dixielandjazz] Coming to New York - Any Dixieland?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 10 18:34:46 PST 2010

> Pam Munter <pam at pammunter.com>
>
> Hi, everybody.
>
> We're coming to New York City on a short vacation and will be there
> between March 11 and 15.  Giordano won't be there, but does anyone
> else have ideas about where to hear good Dixieland during that time?

Hi Pam:

Unfortunately you'll miss the Monday gig at Arthur's, (Grove Street
Stompers)and the Wednesday gig at Bridland (Dave Ostwald's Gully Low
Jazz Band). By all means stop in at The  Ear Inn on Sunday Night to
hear Kellso and friends.

Also, you might check out the below blog:

http://avalonjazz.blogspot.com/2008/11/weekly-gigs.html

Once there click on weekly gigs (upper right side of page), Venues and
Upcoming. This is a YOUNG PEOPLES blog, that tells you where the kids
go to listen to an updated form of Dixieland called Street Jazz by New
Yorkers. The bands are young too, except when Ed Polcer or Dan
Levinson et al, sit in.

For bands, check out Baby Soda and Cangelosi Cards.

Cangelosi Cards have been regulars at Moto in Brooklyn on Friday
nights. It is a neat place that takes it's theme from cross between
and old time drug store, a cycle shop and a speakeasy. The band plays
for tips so be sure to donate.

Baby Soda has not updated their myspace page so they may be traveling.
But if they update before you go to NYC and they are there, go see them.

Moto is at 394 Broadway, Brooklyn NY  Call 718-599-6895 to check out
who is playing there as both the Cards and Baby Soda have been there
fairly regularly. By all means go there if you are adventurous and
don't let the front door of this triangular spot put you off, the
inside is a lot of fun. Diners are young and casual.

Also check Banjo Jim's 212-777-0869 or http://www.banjojims.com/
gigs.htm. Their music programs vary from blues, country, to Terry
Waldo Ragtime Piano and sometimes Street Music of the Cangelosi Cards,
Western Swing and/or banjo bands.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband