[Dixielandjazz] Re - the Who lectures.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 9 13:40:56 PST 2010

I missed the game because I had a gig but some of the comments are
interesting.  I was listening to the PBS radio the other day and they were
reviewing a performer and his music.  The reviewer talked about the depth of
the music and the intense meaning blah blah blah.  The tune had one chord
all the way through along with most of the words being unintelligible!!!

I too grew up with both swing and Elvis.  I have played with many rock bands
and before the wedding band that I worked with folded did a lot of rock.

I started to lose interest in a lot (not all) of pop music in the 70's.  I
just started to not like music that was shouted at me and musically wasn't
very interesting.  I also didn't agree with many of the lyrics.  I prefer my
music and my religion to be non political.  There are other trends that I
don't particularly care for and that's the use of foul language, destructive
behavior and treating others badly, particularly women.  We don't do these
things in my home so why should I want listen to it?

I'm not mad at anybody, I like women, have nice friends and I sort of like
my life.  I simply don't have time for those who have some sort of axe to
grind or who are having a problem in those areas.

The problem for me is that unless I am listening to a jazz station I will
hear a mix of OK tunes and plain junk that isn't worth my time.  Trouble is
when the junk is played more than the good stuff, I just hit the dial.

Those of us who have the perspective of the bands and music of the big band
era and before were drawn in by the musical complexity and beauty and not so
much by the words.  You can listen to Armstrong for instance and each time
you will hear something different and marvel at his genius.  I think that's
true of a lot of Trad Jazz and trad musicians.

Actually I came to Trad Jazz late in my life because I just didn't care much
for the newer music.  Here was a music that was complex and new to me.  When
I say new I mean that I started to hear musicians exploring tunes in ways
that were different than the three chord, or less,  pap of the rock and
country band culture.

I find I enjoy instrumental music a lot more than tunes with words.  I tend
to not get tired of it.  The other problem is that I find a lot of the words
to be un intelligible at least on first hearing.  I am not usually willing
to listen to tunes over and over to get the words.

This is a problem with all vocals.  I went to hear a Christmas concert by
the St. Louis Cathedral Choir.  This is a top rated choir but even the
Christmas Carols I knew were not very understandable.  For this reason I
don't particularly care for congregational singing in church or choirs in
general.

All eras have produced their share of just plain dumb, bad music.  I don't
think that I am an old fuddy duddy when it comes to music.  If the pop
culture embraced actual music I would be all for it.  I guess I just don't
care for music that's trying to deliver some sort of a message.

The other problem is that there is a lack of musical color with many pop
groups playing guitars and drums with an occasional keyboard.  This is what
everyone has heard for the last 60 years.  I don't care how many sound
effects or pedals the guitar player has it's still a guitar and drummers
today have a sameness that just plain bores me.  This is not true of the
Bass players who often are the most exciting instrument in a band versus
older music where the bass lines just plodded along.  FYI - I played guitar
with bands for about 20 years as a second instrument.  I did it because most
of the newer tunes just didn't work with a horn and the young people liked
it.  If it weren't for that I would have never carried all the extra stuff
that a guitar needed on a job.  And yes, we cranked up the volume too.  I
never cared much for that but you do what you have to do.

I want to enjoy music, not be indoctrinated, screamed at or just plain
dumbed down to.

Now where is that on/off switch?
Larry
StL