[Dixielandjazz] Hard to believe

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 9 07:27:41 PST 2010

> David M Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> As one of the "younger" members of this list I have to disagree with
> your comments.  . . . . snip to
> maybe I am just falling back to those Hippy-Trippy days of the 1960s
> when "the kids where all right," but for me, that band was still
> saying a lot - even in the belly of the beast.

I'm with you Dave even if I am an old geezer.

IMO, we old folks who have nothing good to say about Rock, or any
other form of music instead of OUR, kind of music. (which really means
MY kind of music) have forgotten what music really is.

It is COMMUNICATION. And if we old folks don't get it, well, we're are
old and our music is no longer relevant as a mass communication
device. And we often do not want to hear the message of the younger
generations.

So we live in denial, even though we've been through all this before.
Our great grandparents who loved jazz, were viewed by their parents as
non-musical idiots who loved crap music and worse. Exactly the same
way we view the young and their music today. Same S***,  just a
different day. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband