[Dixielandjazz] Re - the Who lectures.

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Feb 9 07:17:02 PST 2010

Barb Jordan wrote:

> Well said Dave! I guess I include myself as one of the "younger" members of the list, so thanks for your thoughts as mine are not too far off from yours.
>

> Barbara Jordan
>

> Burlington, Ontario Canada.
>

> P.S. Had a good time singing with The
> Fig Leaf Jazz Band in Barrie Ontario last Sunday.
>

>> From: tubaman at tubatoast.com
>> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 23:03:22 -0800
>> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Hard To Believe
>> CC: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
>> To: jordan_barb at hotmail.com
>>
>> Sorry Bob, and this may be kind of OT for a lot of you,
>>

>> As one of the "younger" members of this list I have to disagree with
>> your comments. I grew up in the Rock and Roll generation and was
>> exposed to Elvis, The Beatles, The Coasters, The Beach Boys, James
>> Brown, and hundreds of other major and minor "Rock" artists from the
>> mid 1950s to the early 1970s. I also knew about Swing, Jazz and
>> popular music from earlier decades, but "Rock and Roll" is what I
>> heard most of the time on the radio.
>>
>> I thought the halftime show was somewhat interesting because the
>> lyrics of "The Who" songs were so anti-corporate and anti-big
>> government that they never should have been "approved" for such an
>> event. Maybe we have somehow all forgotten the power of music to make
>> changes in society, maybe we have been overwhelmed by the
>> corporations, but I always have hope for the musicians who keep on
>> playing (even if they seem to be bought out by the Superbowl Masters,
>> as it were.)
>>
>> maybe I am just falling back to those Hippy-Trippy days of the 1960s
>> when "the kids where all right," but for me, that band was still
>> saying a lot - even in the belly of the beast. Yes, I am sure they
>> made a lot of money doing this, but that is the way it is. Now.
>>
>> So, what does this have to do with OKOM? I am not quite sure. Rock
>> music has direct roots to early jazz and blues, most of the UK bands
>> of the 1960s were certainly inspired by the Trad Revival of the 1950s
>> - so where is the line drawn? What is Jazz, What is Rock? When a band
>> that has been popular for almost 50 years plays for the Superbowl,
>> what is "Traditional Music?"
>>
>> I don't really need a lot of answers to these vague questions - but
>> it probably has something to do with how what is now considered "Old-
>> Time Music" is understood by most of the younger generations...
>>
>> Dave Richoux
>>
>> On Feb 8, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Robert Ringwald wrote:
>>

>>> I was listening to the game on the radio. At half time, the
>>> announcer kept bragging about what a great show the Who was putting
>>> on. They were so loud, you could hardly hear him.
>>>
>>> Things have really sunk to a new low...
>>>
>>> --Bob Ringwald
>>>

>>> --Bob Ringwald K6YBV
>>> rsr at ringwald.com
>>> Fulton Street Jazz Band
>>> 916/806-9551
>>>
>>> Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

> [...]
Before everyone comesdownhardon Bob, re=read his comments. It appears
that he was commenting onthe Volume - not the content of thematerial. I
agree that it was loud and lyrics hard to understand from the sheer
speaker overload, but I enjoyed the light show.
As for the anit-government, anto-establishment backgrond of theWho, they
are hardly free of the label pro-estabvlishment. Not withe the royalties
they get fromhaving two of their songs the main themse for two lonf
running TV show and seemingly endless re-runs. They are hardly
non-capitalists.
Good gried = dosagree with the man but spare the long esotaric lecture.
Opinions ae just that, and Bob merely expressed his.
Don Ingle