[Dixielandjazz] Dankworth Obit

Ivor Jones banjones at sapo.pt
Mon Feb 8 04:17:47 PST 2010

Walthamstow is one of the suburbs of East London, I was also born there, but
22 months later.
We both passed our '11 plus' examinations, Johnny went to St Monoux Grammar
school, I chose a Technical College and School of Art, 500 yards down the
road.
One year I went to a college dance, the band was Freddie Mirfield's Garbage
Men, who I had down as a jazz band. If I had I known that a J.Dankworth was
on clarinet
it would not have meant a great deal. It was about 1945, but I met him
personally in 1958. I quote from my book,

'One of our gigs was for charity at the Monoux Grammar School. There was
makeshift stage, we set up, and we had played a couple of numbers when we
heard a commotion at the entrance, the guests of honour, Cleo Lane and
Johnny Dankworth had arrived, Johnny had been educated at the Monoux, hence
the invitation to open the fete. He walked over to see the band, to listen
to them for a while. We finished the number to polite applause from the
crowd, which like pied pipers, Johnny and Cleo had attracted over to the
front of the stand. They kept asking Johnny to perform with us. 'I'd love to
play, but sorry I don't have my horn with me'. 'No problem' said Ron,
producing an alto. 'Right' said Johnny 'What shall we play' This a Charity
fete, play 'Pennies from Heaven', Johnny agreed and Cleo stepped up, 'I'll
sing with you' she offered.
The organisers didn't miss a trick, we played about 32 bars and two guys
turned up with a blanket which they held up in front of the band for
donations, the crowd responded in a second, and a hail of pennies came
through the air. Some landed in the blanket, many landed on the band. A horn
or two was dented by the shrapnel, it wasn't such a good idea after all. We
all took cover. So I can confirm that I had played with Johnny Dankworth for
1 minute 17 seconds. And you've seen the picture to prove it.' ( The picture
is in the book.  Sorry )

Ivor Jones