[Dixielandjazz] Paul Guma, N.O. reed man/guitarist, 1920-2010

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Feb 6 06:27:03 PST 2010

This is a discussion list.

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list & DJML

From: Pat Cooke via Norman

I am posting to both lists.  Octogenarian and New Orleans native Pat Cooke writes about his experiences with Paul Guma and some of Pat’s experiences with New Orleans music over the years.  FYI—Pat is still active—bass guitar, trombone, some chromatic harmonica.  He is  also active with a musical group in Slidell, LA ( on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain)  Pat is an occasional contributor  to our music in Pensacola as well.

How many people do you know who can say they played both with Irving Fazola and Al Hirt?

If you’re curious to see a photo of Pat, search  “Pat Cooke, bassist” on Google Images.  Some photos from Jazz Society of Pensacola should show up in the first couple of group photos.  ( Lots of people named Pat Cooke, so be sure to add “bassist” on the image search.

Thanks, Pat, you’ve really lived the New Orleans  jazz experience!