[Dixielandjazz] FW: Correct Pitch

Steve Heist steveheist at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 27 08:49:03 PST 2010

Hi all,
And I hope everyone had a GREAT Christmas!
The funniest thing I ever heard about pitch was a elementary school teacher
when I played at Phillips down in Norfolk, Virginia...
She would play all her songs in the normal keys (usually pitched for a 2nd
tenor) BUT she was an alto in range.
She would sings the songs normally BUT when the song got too high, she would
do an octave jump and continue, jumping with her voice back and forth as
necessary!
After she finished her set, I VERY POLITELY asked her WHY she didn't change
the key of the song to accommodate her voice.
Her look was priceless!  It was like I had given her an epiphany - a
revelation that, quite frankly, had never occurred to her...
To this day I laugh out loud just remembering that moment...
ALL the Very Best to all of you!
Steve "Stubby" Heist