[Dixielandjazz] Correct pitch in recordings. + funny consequence in the Chris Barber band history.

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Dec 26 08:12:04 PST 2010

On 12/26/2010 1:00 AM, Robert Ringwald wrote:
> Bert Brandsma wrote in part:
>
>> In the 1950's Bechet's composition : Petite Fleur became famous, so every band had to learn it.So did the Chris Barber band. Their clarinettist, the shortly ago deceased Monty Sunshine (RIP) had a copy>  or a machine that played it too high, so he learned it in Ab minor, instead of the original key of G minor.Concequence is that the players in that band up till today have to learn it in Monty Sunshine's key, which is much harder on clarinet!
>
> Over here in the Colonies, we all play it in Gm.
>
> And then there is the story of the Japanese band many years ago that learned a song from a recording off of an old 78.  At one point in the recording the needle jumps so there is only 3-beats in that measure.  The band learned it that way and played it with the missing beat.
>

> --Bob Ringwald
> www.ringwald.com
> Fulton Street Jazz Band
> 530/ 642-9551 Office
> 916/ 806-9551 Cell
> Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV
>
> In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
> Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

I'll add to Bob's last remark. When dad (Red Ingle) was with the
Goldkette Band n Detroit inthe 20's, hw worked in anumber of the bands
inthat stable, including one with Jimy Dorset.On a ride over to Bob Lo
islaand on the Canadian side of the Detroit River a young college band
group saw Jimmy and scrambled to call up an arrangment they had made up
of their three saxes playing harmony to one of Jimmy's solos on a
recording. Jimmy listened then told Red, "nice arrangement, but they
even wrote three-part harmony on a big fluff I made on the recording.
But don't tell them...they meant so well!"
Happy Hogmanay to all. (look it up!)
Don Ingle

_l