[Dixielandjazz] Christmas Gigs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 09:44:28 PST 2010

I'm doing a non-paying gig on Christmas Day. With a quartet at the
various wards of the local VA Hospital in Coatesville PA to play
Christmas Music. Been a tradition for about 15 years now.

The most requested tune is usually "I'll Be Home For Christmas". I
will never forget a request for this tune 15 years ago by a grizzled
vet. He cried as we played it. Afterwards he apologized for breaking
down and told us he was at Bastogne in December 1944, cold, tired, low
on ammunition and surrounded by the Germans, who on Christmas Eve,
broadcast that song over loudspeakers, along with a plea for the
Americans to surrender.

He said he never felt so low in his life and when he hears the song
every Christmas since then, he remembers his buddies who didn't make
it back ton the USA. Brought tears to our eyes.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband