[Dixielandjazz] Powerful verse

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 15 13:29:57 PST 2010

Various listmates will have the Willie the Lion Smith recording where he is
telling it like it is in powerful tones.

The thing about a song is it should have a powerful voice, he bellows.
I puzzled over this in my youth, till I realised it was his Joysey accent ...

There is presumably some connection between the ditching of verses and the Paul
Whiteman warning that if bands set the crowd listening rather than moving the
dance-halls would empty,

Also, some verses are almost all word and in instrumental performance don't
introduce but postpone the arrival of the chorus. But even if you don't play the
intro by knowing it you have encountered some ideas of how to begin the
performance. And there is a species of tune, as Constant Lambert observed, which
are exhausted by being played once.  All anybody can ever do with one of these
is to play it again.