[Dixielandjazz] Need to rehearse everything

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Dec 15 11:53:24 PST 2010

To:  DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

>Kevin Yeates

>Vancouver, Canada wrote:

>>>(snip) At rehearsal you don't just rehearse the playing of the tune, you
rehearse the choreography, the timing of the jokes, the >movement of the
bodies on stage, the segues from one piece to the next etc.

>Please keep posting these articles about such great performers. At least
one of us is learning from them.

Echoing Kevin's remarks, allow me this anecdote.  The late Floyd Levin, jazz
writer/historian/enthusiast, made a video presentation a few years ago to
the Satchmo Summerfest in New Orleans.  He was discussing his relationship
to Louis Armstrong- He tried to celebrate Louis' birthday with him, each
year, if possible.  Also both wives were named Lucille.  Floyd reported that
Louis would have his veteran musicians rehearse the songs, order of solos,
and even how they were take their bows.  And, remember, these were his
regular members on tour with him.  If it's good enough for Louis and his
musicians, should also be good for others, whatever their musical skills.

Thanks.

Norman

                                          --end-