[Dixielandjazz] Bailey's Lucky Seven

Marvin Ipswitch cornet at clearwire.net
Tue Dec 14 23:02:10 PST 2010

Steve Barbone wrote:

"BTW, I don't think Ukulele Ike is on vocal as the header states since
there is no vocal. Maybe that's him on the slidewhistle solo, or maybe
that's Miff Mole."

Cliff Edwards is doing a comb and tissue paper "solo." There is no slide
whistle. Tom Lord's discography lists it as a kazoo - I tend to believe it
is comb and tissue paper ala Red McKenzie. Personnel listed for the side is
basically Original Memphis Five: Phil Napoleon, trumpetl; Gus Sharp,
clarinet; Vincent Grande or Charlie Panelli trombone; John Cali, banjo;
unknown pianist.

Bailey's was just another recording name of the time, like Original Memphis
Five, Cotton Pickers, et. al.

Cheers,
Marvin