[Dixielandjazz] Sturm Fire & Drang

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 18:33:46 PST 2010

Kevin Yeates commented on Rammstein and Sturm Fir & Drang, saying
essentially that we could learn from their presentation.

Yes indeed Kevin, we surely could. They know how to grab their
audience and get them involved actively in the event. And that
audience follows them.

For example, see this robot parody of their performance of "Feuer
Frei". We may hate the "music", but note that this one parody got more
than 9 million hits on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxUZUnRwH7s

An actual live performance of this tune in France has 1,391,492 hits.
The pyrotechnics at the end are spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulOScofQXns&feature=related

Note well how the audience becomes a part of the show. That's what
today's audiences want, to be part of the action, not to be a passive
listener.

The Britons may want to check the side bar and click on the London
gig, "Du Hast". Some audience there. That song is a play on words. Du
Hast means "you have". Du Haast" means "you hate".  The songs asks two
questions about ones lover; "Do you want to love her even during bad
times until death parts you?" and then "Do you want to be faithful to
her until death intervenes?" Both times  a loud "nein" is shouted by
the lead singer. (AND THE AUDIENCE)

Ah well, Rammstein pales in comparison to Shakira's "Waka Waka" which
has almost 257 MILLION hits. Or Justin Bieber singing "Baby" and over
409 MILLION hits.

I think by comparison Louis Armstrong's Hello Dolly has around
2,250,000 hits on all of his versions on you tube. And he knew how to
grab the audience. Note that his Muskrat Ramble recorded in Munich has
only about 140,000 hits.

And his Hot 5 & Hot 7 sides combined have, I think,  well under a half
million hits.

Bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps we should go see Rammstein live. Maybe
they would light a fire under us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband